Thursday, January 21, 2016

The 1907 Heritage E Stuart Wood School Kamloops British Columbia (Pictures)

Above Photo: The 1907 E Stuart Wood School in Kamloops, British Columbia.

The 1907 E Stuart Wood School is a beautiful red bricked three-story schoolhouse and was named the Kamloops Public School. Later in 1922 the school was renamed in honour of teacher Edward Stuart Wood who would later become principal of the school. The school was built by a local contractor using local brick from around the area.

The school served elementary grades and high school grades, with the elementary students being taught on the first two floors and the high school students on the top floor until 1913. Now a days the school serves as a elementary school.

The below text information is From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

              History and Heritage:

During Kamloops' evolution in the 19th century, the West End was the main site of residential settlement in the growing town.

The name of Nicola Wagon Road in the neighbourhood bears witness to the fact that the West End was the first concentration of inhabitation in what would become one of British Columbia's most spread-out cities.

The West End was home to many of Kamloops' most prominent early citizens, as demonstrated by the size and grandeur of many of the homes.

While a number of more modern houses have encroached upon the neighbourhood's elegant atmosphere, wood-paneled and stucco homes remain the norm.

The neighbourhood is located close to a number of significant Kamloops buildings, including the Old Courthouse, Sacred Heart Cathedral, St. Andrew's on the Square, Stuart Wood Elementary School (the city's first school), the Kamloops Museum and Archives and St. Ann's Academy.

William Tuff Whiteway was the architect/designer of the E Stuart Wood School.

William Tuff Whiteway (1856–1940) was a Canadian architect best known for his work in the early 1900s in Vancouver, although he received commissions in various parts of the United States and Canada during his peripatetic career.

Biography: William Tuff Whiteway.

Whiteway was born in Musgrave Harbour, Newfoundland and Labrador, in 1856.[1] He moved to Victoria, British Columbia in approximately 1882, to Vancouver in 1886, and to San Diego in 1887. In 1888, he moved to Port Townsend, Washington, where he practiced architecture with his partner Julius C. Schroeder. 

In 1892, he left Port Townsend for St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, and then moved to Halifax where he partnered with William T. Horton. In 1900, Whiteway returned to Vancouver, where he remained until his death in 1940.

During his career he was repeatedly in conflict with the Architectural Institute of British Columbia for nonpayment of membership fees, and for undercutting the minimum fees that the Institute imposed on transactions with clients. 

He was also criticized by the Institute for working with an unlicensed architect, W.H. Chow, who was barred from licensing because of his race.

Another element of controversy surrounds whether he truly designed the most famous work attributed to him, the World Building (now Sun Tower) of Vancouver. Another highly successful Vancouver architect of the era, George L.T. Sharp (1880–1974), has claimed the initial sketch was his, not Whiteway’s.

Travel British Columbia with Brian Vike blog, please contact me at

Travel British Columbia with Brian Vike.

Travel Houston, British Columbia with Brian Vike.

No comments:

Post a Comment